Since its beginning, the Mental Health Institute (MHI), Cuttack, Odisha has seen constant steps in the field of social and behavioural sciences. Several novel techniques in the field of social Psychiatry, Psychiatric Social Work and Rehabilitation has been planned and implemented at this institute. The Department of Psychiatric Social Work started propagating the academic and clinical training for Psychiatric Social Workers by introducing M.Phil. in Psychiatric Social Work in the year 2016 under Utkal University. The primary functioning areas of the department are teaching and other collaborative services. The Department offers consultancy services to both governmental and non-governmental sectors. It is actively engaged in organizing and supporting the community mental health programmes of the Institute. Besides, it undertakes rehabilitation services, counselling, and placement initiatives of the chronic patients.
|Course Offered||M. Phil (Psychiatric Social Work)|
|Total Seats||6 (Reservation as per Govt. Of Odisha norms)|
|Course Duration||2 Years (Full-time)|
|Eligibility for Admission||Masters in Social Work (MSW) or M.A. in Arts in Social Work from a UGC approved University / Institution securing not less than 55% marks in the aggregate, with or without specialization in Medical & Psychiatric Social Work. However there will be relaxation of 5% on the aggregate marks obtained in the qualifying examination for SC/ST candidates.|
The trainees are given overall exposure of mental health and behavioural science with the aim to introduce the concept of multidisciplinary approach. The students are also given ample privileges and opportunities to enhance their clinical and academic skills.
The student trainees are entrusted to take up daily routine clinical and therapeutic activities at both in-patient and out-patient departments. They learn how to deal with individual, family and community based therapeutic services for people with mental illnesses under the direct supervision of the faculty.
The primary functioning areas of the department are teaching and other collaborative services. The Department offers consultancy services to both governmental and non-governmental sectors. It is actively engaged in organizing and supporting the community mental health programmes of the Institute. Besides, it undertakes rehabilitation services, counselling, and placement initiatives of the chronic patients.
RESEARCH / PROJECTS
- Magical thinking and paranormal beliefs among the siblings of patients with schizophrenia. Indian Journal of Social Psychiatry. 2012; 28(1-2):60-6.
- Adolescents Attitude towards Sexuality: A Cross Cultural Perspectives. International Journal of scientific research. 2012, 2(5):584-587
- Paranormal Beliefs: Clinical Importance in Mental Health. CIP Bulletin, 2012, 11(1), 5-6.
- Psychological understanding of Terrorism, CIP Bulletin, 2013, 12(1).38-41
- The impact of Psychiatric Disorder on Family of Male and Female Psychiatric Patients in India: A Comparative Study. Global Journal For Research Analysis, 2013 Vol:2, Issue-5
- Clinical Social Work Practice: Methods and Modalities. Indian journal of research (PARIPEX), 2013, 3(4), 297-300
- Motor Neuron Disease. Psychosocial Challenges and Interventions. Alzheimer’s and related disorders Society of India (ARDSI), Clinical Social Work Practice in Neurology. 2015,p 354-379
- Social isolation in Indian Setting: An Overview. In interdisciplinary Journal of contemporary Research, vol.3(5)2016,183-184
- Study of the Relationship between Emotional Intelligence and Self Efficacy among School Going Adolescents. Journal of social work Education and Practice. International Peer reviewed Journal. (2016), vol-1(1)
- Supernatural beliefs towards severe mental illness prevailing among tea garden tribal population of Assam. Orissa journal of psychiatry .2017,8(1)
- Pathways to Psychiatric care in Children and Adolescents with first episode psychosis. Social Sciences International Research Journal. 2017 Volume 3 Issue 2.
- Understanding social isolation and its influence in mental health. In Shod Dristhi (An international refereed journal) 2017, vol.8 (1) 97-102.
- Childhood Mental Disorders in India: Epidemiology. Textbook of Childhood and Adolescent psychiatry ( 2017) Paras Publication ISBN:978-81-8191-472-9
- Role of Psychiatric Social worker in Hospital Setting. Annual Conference of Indian Psychiatric Society, Odisha branch.Souvenir, 2019.
- The prevalence of Internate addiction and its relationship with depression, anxiety and stress among higher secondary school students: North –east perspective. Journal of Indian Association for Child and Adolescent Mental Health 2019;15(1);13-26
- A study on mental health status of elderly destitute women in COE MHI SCB Cuttack. National conference on Mental Health, ANTARMAN Souvenir, 2019.